For years people have come to Harlem, primarily on tour buses. They get off the bus to hear gospel music at a church, but usually leave before the worship service ends, and have a meal.
Harlem is the third most visited tourist destination in New York City. Yet most visitors have no idea what there is to see or what to expect. Unbeknownst to many visitors, Harlem has three distinct areas: Central Harlem, where African Americans first settled in the early 1990s; East Harlem or El Barrio, which is home to Latinos, with Puerto Ricans first migrating to the enclave after WWI; and West Harlem, which includes a diverse population of African Americans, West Indians, Latinos, and whites. As a bonus we included Washington Heights’ home to Morris-Jumel Mansion, Manhattan’s oldest house. We want people’s feet to hit the ground to explore Harlem’s rich history, which is unparalleled by any other New York City neighborhood. Its ethnic diversity makes it a fascinating place to visit and this app will help visitors and residents alike navigate its nooks and crannies.
- More than 360 entries with over 2000 photographs
- This visually rich app consists of detailed New York City visitor’s information from visitor centers, tourist websites, weather, news, holidays, sales tax, smoking rules, tipping and transportation to and from airports and in the city
- Detailed descriptions which include uncommonly known cultural and historical facts, websites, phone numbers, hours of operation, prices, menus and hyperlinks that link entries and lead to websites for additional historical and factual information.
- Entries sorted by name, category, distance, price, and neighborhood
- Once click to websites, phones, online ordering, online reservations, current menus and more
- Live calendar
- Ability to share user comments and mark and save favorites
- Ask the authors questions through in-app comments to get personalized feedback at your finger tips
- YouTube videos
- GPS enabled Google maps with walking, driving and mass transit directions
- Access offline content anytime
- Free upgrades for life
- Nightlife and entertainment from jazz, Latin salsa, opera to classical music;
- Theatre, dance, spoken word and more;
- Restaurants featuring soul food to French cuisine and everything in between;
- Unique ethnic retail shops;
- Museums that celebrate various cultures;
- Fine art galleries;
- Majestic churches and gospel music;
- Amazing landmarks;
- Parks and free recreational activities;
- Guest accommodations;
- Free internet access and Wi-fi locations;
- Authentic tours ofHarlem;
- Annual events and festivals;
- Sales & Deals
About the Authors
The authors are both homeowners and long-time residents of Harlem. Carolyn D. Johnson operates a tour company, a visitor’s center, and a website that provides information about Harlem under the umbrella of Welcome to Harlem. Valerie Jo Bradley operates a PR and special events planning firm and is proprietor of a small guest house inHarlem. In addition to collaborating with other Harlem-based tour companies to develop unique tours of Harlem, she has trainedHarlem residents to conduct tours in their neighborhoods.
Download the free Sutro World @ www.sutromedia.com/world and purchase the Harlem Travel Guide today for $2.99!
Follow Welcome to Harlem on:
Website – www.welcometoharlem.com
Facebook – http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Welcome-to-Harlem/464732145003
Twitter – https://twitter.com/welcometoharlem
Yelp – http://www.yelp.com/biz/welcome-to-harlem-new-york
Trip Advisor – http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g60763-d1977036-Reviews-Welcome_to_Harlem-New_York_City_New_York.html
Blog – www.welcometoharlem.wordpress.com