The New York chapter of the National Basketball Retired Players Association (NBRPA), the only Association comprised of NBA, ABA, Harlem Globetrotters and WNBA alumni, will be joining Fairway Market to distribute Thanksgiving dinners to needy families in NYC from Friday, November 22 through Wednesday, November 27. Families will receive a complete Thanksgiving meal to make this a happy Thanksgiving.
Former NBA players including Hall of Famer Nate “Tiny” Archibald, Albert King, Tom Hoover, Walt “Clyde” Frazier, Fred Crawford, Carl Green (Harlem Globetrotters), Steve Burtt, Cal Ramsey, and Harthorne Wingo are among the former players expected to participate in the distribution. The food is being provided by leading American grocery chain, Fairway Market.
“We are dedicated to helping people who are suffering through hard times. We are always present in the community with fundraisers, clinics, and ‘stop the violence’ and mentoring programs,” said Tom Hoover, President of the NY chapter of the NBRPA. “And now, what better time to help the community than on Thanksgiving, a day that’s all about family and being thankful for what we have. Our members want to make sure that everyone has a happy holiday. I want to thank all of our partner organizations for their cooperation in this effort. I also want to thank Congressman Rangel, who along with the NBRPA, supports many local community-based organizations.”
The NY chapter of the NBRPA distributed over 2,000 turkeys, with all the trimmings, every year for the past three years, working with different community-based organizations and churches.
The schedule for the Thanksgiving giveaways are as followed:
– Friday, November 22 at 1:30 PM – Bed-Stuy Campaign Against Hunger (BSCAH) – 2010 Fulton Street, Brooklyn, NY. BSCAH is the largest food pantry in Brooklyn, distributing food to Brooklyn residents all year long.
– Friday, November 22 at 5:00 PM – Madison Square Boys and Girls Club – 240 Nassau Street in the Fort Greene section of Brooklyn.
– Saturday, November 23 at 7:00 AM – Teddy Atlas Foundation – 543 Cary Avenue in Staten Island, NY.
– Saturday November 23 at 8:30 AM – P.S. 18 (John Peter Zenger School) – 502 Morris Avenue, Bronx, NY.
– Monday, November 25 at 12:00 PM – The Martin Luther King Jr. Democratic Club – 2155 Adam Clayton Powell Jr. Blvd. in Harlem, NY (with Congressman Charles Rangel).
– Tuesday, November 26 or Wednesday, November 27 (TBD) at 4:00 PM – Our Children Foundation – 525 W. 125th Street, New York, NY.